Sustainable Fur Fashion: Restyling & Remodeling
With the weather getting cooler, you may be looking for some ways to stay warm while also looking hip and attractive. A classic look that never goes out of style is the fur coat. Sure, it’s gotten a bad rap in recent years but going the route of sustainable fur fashion is what it’s all about these days.
There is no doubt that a fur coat makes the wearer look more put-together than ever before. Even better than how great one looks in the sustainable fur is how great they feel. Fur coats are very warm, so if you live in a cool climate, you can rest assured that this type of coat will definitely go far in keeping the cold at bay.
Fur fashion has been in style for years and still finds itself on the runways in some of the world’s top fashion shows. If you’re all about the latest trends, you can trust that fur is still on the list of “must-haves” for many fashion icons.
Why Investing in Fur Remodeling Is A Good Idea
Before you go rushing out to buy a brand-new fur coat, we have some ideas on how you can get a beautiful fur coat without having to invest in a new one. This kind of sustainable commerce can help our environment in more ways than one.
With a used fur coat, you can remodel the fur to get a new look while still being respectful of animals and reusing what has already been used. This not only means that you’ll be spending less but that you’ll be recycling what nature has already given you.
Maybe someone in your family has some older fur items that they no longer use. While the style may be outdated, you can remodel the clothing into something new and fashionable. Maybe your grandma has an old, long fur coat that she no longer uses. While it’s much too long and vintage for your fashion sense, why not consider taking it to be styled in a look that is all the rage these days?
Perhaps you have an old fur coat yourself but it’s been damaged and you haven’t pulled it out of the closet in a while. While you may not be able to completely restore the fur coat, you could always use parts of the coat to make something new.
This way, you don’t have to spend a lot of money on a new one (which can be pricey) and you can still look as chic as you want to. If you or your family don’t have old fur coats lying around, you could always go browse local thrift stores that sell used fur coats at a very low and affordable price, which will still allow you to have money left over to invest in getting it restyled.
There are several different fur items and accessories that look just as amazing as a coat. For example, a light fur wrap-around or scarf can help you stay warm when the weather is changing from summer to fall but not yet freezing in the winter.
The great thing about fur fashion is that it is long-lasting. Fur doesn’t deteriorate as quickly as some other materials do, making it a favorite option for those who want to own clothing that can last for years to come. It’s another reason why it’s a good idea to remodel used fashion instead of investing in new fur coats and clothing. Fur remodeling is good for the environment.
How You Can Do Fur Restyling
Are you interested in remodeling that amazing fur coat your grandmother has in her closet? Do you want to reuse an old fur jacket that you accidentally “ruined” one crazy night? While it may seem like a challenge at first to make something out of something that you thought as old or damaged, there are ways to make your fur coat look like new.
The following tips will help you see how you can invest in sustainable fur fashion and look as trendy as you want:
• Take the coat to the local fur coat cleaners. Just because it’s dirty, you shouldn’t give up on it. There is probably a cleaning business in your area that has experience with fur. If you want to keep the fur coat and use as is, this is your best bet for being able to wear it again. Don’t just throw it out because of a minor stain.
• Take it to a seamstress to restyle and reuse the fur. If you don’t like the style of your coat or you’ve taken it to fur coat cleaners and the damaged area can’t be saved, you can restyle your fur. If you have styles in mind, make sure to take pictures to your seamstress and find out if they can create what you’re looking for. It’s going to be much cheaper than buying a new coat would be and you can even create the exact style that you want, which is what a lot of us wish we could do when shopping.
• If you’re talented, you can do a DIY project at home. While not everyone can do this, if you dabble in fashion or sewing yourself, you may want to consider remodeling your fur at home. In this case, you’ll be able to save money and even be able to not spend anything at all on a “brand-new” fur coat.
While coat cleaners and seamstresses will cost something, you will find that it will be much lower than buying a new one. Because fur is highly sustainable and long-lasting, it’s actually a great investment, as you can expect to use the coat for years to come and reuse it for new looks as the years go by.
Buying Fur Responsibly
Fur is often brought up in arguments about the environment but responsible and sustainable care in the fur fashion world actually means that investing in a durable fur coat is better than buying a coat made from synthetic materials.
Did you know that a faux fur coat may actually be made from petroleum-derived materials? When a person is done wearing clothes, they often throw them away, which means that this type of coat will end up in our environment as micro-particles. Can you imagine what a petroleum-based coat does to our environment?
Fur is biodegradable and because it’s more durable than a fake coat, it will probably stay in your closet for longer. Fur coats are usually popular items so even if you want to get rid of it, you can easily sell it, whether to a friend or a local thrift store.
Did you know that many times fur coats are made locally? For example, if hunting is a popular in a certain area, many times those who hunt will take the animal hide/fur to be made into clothing. These items tend to get passed down from generation to generation, which in the long run helps to cut down on consuming new items that end up in the trash and landfills.
If fur coats are produced and subsequently sold locally, then you don’t have to worry about the carbon footprint left from you buying the coat. If you want to, you can always look for coats that have been produced in your area.
Unless it’s a nearly extinct animal, fur coats can also help to maintain a healthy population in an area. There are, fortunately, many regulations for fur manufacturers, so you can be sure that you are buying responsibly.
Why A Fur Coat May Be For You
Apart from all of these reasons that make it good for the environment, you can do a lot with fur and reuse it as much as you want to. Whether you decide to restyle it or you simply clean it to keep on using it, a fur coat can be worn for many more years than a simple faux fur coat.
Fur can make you look fashionable and trendy, which is always a good idea to invest in a new item for your wardrobe. It can also help you to dress up an outfit but also works for a more casual one, making it a versatile addition to your closet.
It’s highly dependable for keeping you warm in cold weather. As you can imagine, fur is very warm and because of this, many people love investing in fur coats for winter. If you happen to live in a very cold climate, you may want to consider how wise it may be to invest in a coat that will keep you warm, no matter what.
Even better, if you have people in your family or friend circle that have fur coats that they no longer wear, you can take advantage and make something new out of them and put them to good use. Not only is this good for the environment, it’s good for keeping your expenses down and keeping you warm in the cold months.
Is Fur In Style Now?
Fur has had it’s scandals and challenges over the years. Is it something that you can wear in 2018 and still feel stylish in? You may have plenty of old ones in your closet or know a family member that does. If you have a coat that you want to restyle, here are some ways that you can do just that:
• Short coats are all the rage right now. These coats are perfect for the fall as they aren’t too long and formal but cover just enough while making you look chic and trendy. You can use a long coat that may be damaged on the lower part and remodel it into a cute, short one.
• Make a matching hat and scarf set. Perhaps you have a highly damaged fur coat that has seen its days as a coat. Before you go throwing it away, take it to your seamstress wizard to create an adorable hat and scarf set that you can totally rock in the winter. We promise it will look amazing but best of all, it will keep you warm.
• A fur vest. Yet another way to use fur in a sustainable way, a fur vest can totally add to your look this fall—at least if you’re a woman. While it may not be fur coat weather just yet, it sure is vest weather. If you want to restyle your old fur coat, consider cutting off the sleeves and making a warm and cozy vest out of it. You can leave it long or leave it short; either way, trust us, it’s definitely a trending look these days. You can even use different coats to make a brand new one that has more style than ever before. This is the perfect reason to do some fur restyling.
Fur is certainly a style that you will want to wear these days. The number-one rule of thumb is don’t go over the top. You may not want to wear a large, fluffy coat to a night of playing pool with your friends, but you could definitely wear it to a special event or don a fur vest for a day out with the girlfriends. A man can also look fantastic in a fur coat at a luxury event, so men, don’t go running when you read the word fur. It can work for anyone.
Fur fashion is actually much better for the environment than many have realized. It’s also much more durable than your regular clothing. If you’ve been looking for a coat that you can use for many years to come, then you may want to consider remodeling an old fur coat or restyling your grandmother’s/grandfather’s coat into a trendy one that will make you look incredible.